Do you want to improve your smile? If you’re dissatisfied with your smile when you look in the mirror or see pictures of yourself, it can affect the way you feel. Your self-confidence could suffer and you may even avoid smiling, giving people the wrong impression of you. But it doesn’t have to be this way.
There are many different options for improving your smile, such as porcelain veneers. They can cover a multitude of issues from gaps to discoloration, making your smile look like new.
What Are Porcelain Veneers and How Do They Work?
Veneers are shell-like covers that fit over the front of your teeth. They can be made of composite resin or porcelain. Porcelain is used most often because it closely resembles natural tooth enamel. It is also very strong, offering the bite power of your natural teeth.
Porcelain veneers attach to the front side of your teeth. They wrap around the sides of your teeth slightly, covering the existing teeth so that they are no longer visible.
What Can Veneers Correct?
If there are things you don’t like about your smile, veneers can most likely correct them, such as:
- Gaps. Do you have a gap or multiple gaps between your teeth that cause you to feel self conscious when you smile? Veneers can be made to fit so that they fill the gaps between your teeth in a natural-looking way.
- Chips. If you have a chipped tooth or teeth that show in the front of your mouth when you smile, veneers can cover the front side of the tooth to make it look even and symmetrical again.
- Crooked teeth. Crooked teeth don’t have to be straightened with braces or other orthodontic treatment. Veneers can make the teeth look straight and uniform in a much shorter time.
- Discoloration. Veneers can cover severely discolored teeth that can’t be corrected with whitening treatments alone.
- Teeth that are worn down. If you grind your teeth and you’ve been doing it long enough that your teeth are visibly worn down, veneers can make your teeth appear full and equal in length.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers have many benefits, including:
- Strong. Porcelain is an incredibly strong material that offers the bite strength of your natural teeth. You’ll be able to eat everything you could before getting veneers.
- Durable. Porcelain veneers hold up well to the rigors of daily living. You don’t have to worry about them getting damaged from normal usage.
- Fast. Veneers give you straighter looking teeth much faster than braces or clear aligners. You can have a new smile in just a few weeks with veneers, where braces could take a year or more.
- Long lasting. Veneers can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years or longer. If you maintain them as well as the natural teeth underneath, your veneers could last for the rest of your life.
What is the Process for Getting Veneers?
The process begins with a consultation. You and your dentist will discuss what you want your smile to look like. Your dentist will then evaluate your teeth to determine if veneers will allow you to achieve your desired results. If so, plans will be made to start the process.
The next step involves preparing the teeth. A thin layer of enamel will be filed away to prepare the surface for your veneers. After this you will be fitted with temporary veneers that look natural while you wait for your permanent veneers to be made.
Once your permanent veneers are ready, typically in 1-2 weeks, you will return to have them fitted. As long as they fit correctly and look right, they will be permanently cemented into place. If they need to be adjusted in any way, you may wear your temporary veneers for another 1-2 weeks while you wait for adjustments. Once your permanent veneers are placed you are free to go and enjoy your new smile.
Meridian Dental Group Wants to Help You Smile With Confidence
If you’re self-conscious of your smile, it can affect every aspect of your life from relationships to your career. Confidence goes a long way toward helping you feel happier and get what you want out of life. Meridian Dental Group can provide you with porcelain veneers that will give you a whole new confidence in your smile. We believe in the power of cosmetic dentistry and what it can do for our patients.